Jeremy Sams Art Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Plein Air With Triad Outdoor Painters


Is it ever too cold to plein air paint? If you're using acrylic paints, I suppose so...one of my last trips painting in cold weather resulted in me having to pack it up early because my brushes wouldn't move the paint due to being frozen solid with ice. This day, however, was a bit warmer. Cold, nonetheless...but not cold enough to freeze my brushes!

I had the privilege of painting with a fairly new painting group called "Triad Outdoor Painters". They meet regularly in the Germanton, NC area. Artists from Winston Salem, Mount Airy, High Point, Greensboro, and other surrounding areas are a part of this group.

This is Craig Richardson. I met Craig at a paint out near Blowing Rock, NC. He's the organizer of the group.




Painting along with Craig is Dolly Manion, who is also from High Point, NC. It's always good to meet neighbors who share the same painting interests. Behind those clouds at the horizon is Pilot Mountain. It would peek out throughout the day as the clouds moved.




Here is Arlene Daniel's plein air set up and painting....always a good idea to have your vehicle nearby in case you need to sit and rest or warm up!

This is artist, Gail Spane Jr. from Mount Airy. I have to admit, he's probably the smartest of the bunch that day as he painted from his home-made painting station from his truck.


 You can see how many containers I have open here...4. Titanium white, ultramarine blue, cadmium red medium, and cadmium yellow medium. For this dreary overcast day, I only needed my very limited palette of 4 colors. The good thing about painting on an overcast day is that you don't have to chase shadows. The light remains very constant and my acrylic paints stayed wet for a good long while.


Here's my final painting...9x12 acrylic on panel en plein air.




2 comments:

  1. I learned of your work through the NCPAP site. I love your landscapes! I'm always thrilled to find a new acrylic artist...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meredith! It's always a joy to meet other acrylic artists and hopefully, I'll get to see you at one of the upcoming plein air events!

    ReplyDelete