Jeremy Sams Art Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

North Ridge Country Club's People's Choice Award

Jeremy with "Morning At Cloudland"



Humbled...overwhelmed...Shocked! These are a few of the words to describe my emotions I felt this past weekend at the North Ridge Country Club Art Gala, Raleigh, NC. As I walked into the ball room after we first arrived, I remember thinking, "Oh my! There's some great art here...am I supposed to be here?" Honestly,  I was hoping to see some mediocre art displays, since this was a juried event. Of course, every artist wants to have the nicest looking art at a show. So, needless to say, I was a bit nervous.

There were 25 pieces to be juried which were selected out of a host of other submitted artwork throughout the state, of which my "Morning At Cloudland" was picked. At the beginning of the event, Jennifer Dasal, Associate Curator of Contemporary Art at the North Carolina Museum of Art, (the juror of the show) announced her 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks. My name wasn't called..."Oh well...at least I got in the show", I thought to myself. Just being chosen to be in the show was a huge honor to begin with, so even though I was a bit saddened, I was grateful just to be there among such talented artists.

Toward the end of the night, George Wallace, one of the masterminds behind the event called everyone's attention back to main stage. It was time to announce the "People's Choice Award". Elevated on the stage was a painting hidden behind a draped cloth. My wife, Crystal, nervously informs me to stop chatting with the other artists and look. "I think that's your painting!" she exclaimed. The dimensions of the painting looked like mine, but, "maybe there were other paintings the same size", I thought. I became tense, I think I felt a bead of sweat form on my brow. The drum roll seemed to last for minutes...the anticipation was killing me. Finally, the cloth was removed and there stood my painting. There I stood, humbled, overwhelmed and shocked!

We met so many talented artists and wonderful art collectors that night. It was truly a joyous experience. Below are a few pieces of art from the artists that I had the privilege to meet:










There were many more artists that we met but I failed to get pics of their work...sorry about that.

I'd like to say thank you to the North Ridge Country Club in Raleigh, NC for allowing us to come, to all those who voted for my painting, and a special thank you to God for His wonderful blessings and provision. He is faithful.

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment