Jeremy Sams Art Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Birth Freedom March

What an inspiring day it was yesterday in Raleigh, NC! My wife and I carpooled with our activist friends to the state capital to be a part of the "Birth Freedom March" hosted by North Carolina Friends of Midwives. It was a beautiful site to see so many families there to support the legalization of Certified Professional Midwives.
 design copyright by Jeremy Sams

In honor of this special day, Crystal and I sported our home-made homebirth shirts of which we had many compliments.
The shirt reads "Don't Let Your Babies Do Drugs!... Have A Homebirth!" (shirts will be available soon, contact me if you're interested) Of course we were not the only ones wearing or demonstrating their views...many others decorated their vehicles, their shirts, signs, etc... with the message of legalizing midwives in the state of NC. Several were holding signs that read something to the effect of "we left NC to give birth". What a sad commentary for the Old North State. Hopefully that will change soon.

We did have the opportunity to meet with our district representative, Mrs. Pat Hurley. It was such a pleasure talking to her and along with her willingness to listen. The funny thing is that she knew me and had one of my prints in her home...how cool is that? Many others that day met with their representatives and Senators, so we hope our voices were heard.







Here I am with our friend Shelley...I think she was hiding her face to disguise her laughter at someone who just fell down.

Look at all those people! I needed a panoramic shot to get the whole crowd...oh well, maybe next time.

Crystal and our celebrity activist friend, Jennifer Brigman show off their day-wear attire. No, they don't have a drinking problem, they're both very pregnant.

If you haven't contacted your representatives and senators, I would like to encourage you to do so. Inform them that it's time for certified professional midwives to have the same legal status as any other qualified professional. Birth is not a disease and it shouldn't be any of the government's business to tell you who can help deliver your baby.

4 comments:

  1. Jeremy! You have a spotlight on our shutterfly page! Check out all the pics!

    thebrigmanfamily.shutterfly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't anyone tell me my hair was all whacked out?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, I wondered if you were trying to rock the spikes again. LOL
    Mrs. Linthicum would be so dissapointed :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank the Lord for Godly counsel! lol

    ReplyDelete