Jeremy Sams Art Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Southwest Park Plein Air

Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. This 6x8 acrylic on masonite plein air painting was painted at Southwest Park in Guilford County, NC. This is by far, not my favorite painting.
The only things I like about it are the sky reflections in the water and the log laying in the water. But, maybe it will look better in a frame.


I struggled with the lack of color in this scene. It was painted just after lunch which was not a great time of the day to catch some "moody" colors. But, I couldn't help it. I was overly eager to paint, even if it meant poor subject matter and poor color. I'm sure a morning or evening shot of this scene would be much more joyful.

I also see why so many plein air painters wear hats or have umbrellas. I am now the not-so proud owner of two sun burnt arms and half a burnt face and neck. One arm is burnt from the underside...I guess where the light reflected off the lake. You live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment