Jeremy Sams Art Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Skipping Class

"Skipping Class" is an 8x10 acrylic on canvas board, painted in plein air. I couldn't resist painting this group of college students while soaking up some rays at Hurley Park in Salisbury, NC. The spring colors were beautiful along with the cool breeze, so if this rowdy crew really was skipping class...I can't say that I blame them.

The group caught my attention as they reminded me of myself when I was their age. It was a group of tight knit friends doing absolutely nothing but having the greatest time. It's so easy to be around people you love. You need no entertainment when you have "koinonia" or "fellowship"... an intimacy with those having things in common. This word is used often in the New Testament especially in 1 John. What an amazing thing to fathom that this special fellowship that the Father has with the Son...we have been called into according to 1 Cor. 1:9.

I met several other wonderful artists in Salisbury that day. I was able to paint along with some of the members of Plein Air Carolina and Scott Boyle of Charlotte Plein Air Painters. What a blessing it is to meet others with the same interest and see their perspectives of God's creation. What a humbling gift we have as artists to strive to portray God's glory in His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment